This is what we are doing:
- Kids journal T, W, TH, F
- Length is determined loosely by grade/age. By the end of summer everyone will be writing at least a paragraph. Older kids are already doing that.
- They get to choose which entry I will correct. I don't want them holding back on length because they know they will be required to rewrite one. I don't care if they choose the shortest. It's all about punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, etc.
- They hand their books in to me to peruse/correct over the weekend. I will make note of spelling errors to be addressed on a separate list.
- On Monday they rewrite the chosen entry with all the corrections.
- Most of the kids include pictures. I enjoy looking at them. I love seeing what is important to them. I've seen drawings of our new (used) lawn tractor, chickens, and Menards!