Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What we've been reading

My husband just finished reading this book to the kids.  They all thought it was a great.  My husband even requested we purchase a copy so we would be sure to have it around when our 2 and 5 year old would be old enough to enjoy it.

From the library website:  In 1940, when the Nazi invasion of Norway reaches their village in the far north, twelve-year-old Peter and his friends use their sleds to transport nine million dollars' worth of gold bullion past the German soldiers to the secret harbor where Peter's uncle keeps his ship ready to take the gold for safekeeping in the United States.



I wish I had an image for the book I've been reading but I can't seem to find one.  It is called To Africa with a Dream by Olga Marlin.  In a nutshell, it is story about the life of Olga Marlin, how she came to be a member of Opus Dei, how she went to Africa to start a school, and how she and her friends did that and so much more over the next 30 years or so.  I've had the book for a couple years and never picked it up.  I didn't think I would enjoy it.  I was so very wrong. I didn't want to put it down.



This is what I am reading now.  Another book I've had lying around for a couple years.  I love short stories of miracles!  They do exist!  We prayed to St. Josemaria Escriva 16 years ago when I was pregnant with our first child.  My ob/gyn detected that our babies heart had an extra beat.  That same week we were sent to a perinatologist who called in a couple of cardiologists.  They could find nothing wrong other than the extra beat (which they could plainly see).  We were told that our baby would probably outgrow it sometime after she was born.  We started praying to St. Josemaria and when my next ob/gyn appt. came just a week later the extra heart beat had disappeared.  A priest asked us to write a letter to those who were working on the cause of cannonization for Father Escriva and we did.  This doesn't really qualify as a definitive medical miracle because although uncommon, this could have corrected itself.  But that doesn't matter to us.  Our prayers were answered.

What are you reading? 

No comments: