Monday, August 10, 2009

Saints this week

Our family is Catholic and sometimes we do little thing related to the Saint of the Day. We have two interesting Saints coming up in the next couple of days so I thought I would share our traditions with you. I by no means mean to recount all of their amazing feats or even give a proper summary of their life. I just want to tell you the parts that are relevant to what we do. And sometimes the tradition is not real "holy." Nothing is sacrilegious but I am not sure that having turkey sandwiches and soup to help us remember that Saint Basil was from modern day Turkey and organized soup kitchens would be considered holy.

Today is Saint Lawrence's Feast Day! I am sure you have all heard the story of how Saint Lawrence was cruelly roasted on an iron grid over a fire. Today we will only eat hot foods because typically today is very hot and we know that hot foods on a hot day can be uncomfortable. We try to imagine how pained poor Saint Lawrence must have been!

Tomorrow is Saint Clare of Assisi. When she ran away from home to follow Saint Francis, he cut off her hair and gave her a brown habit to wear. She and her fellow sisters ate no meat and wore no shoes and kept silent most of the time. We have one meal where there is absolutely no talking and try to talk less or in quiet whispers the rest of the day (usually works until about noon). We do not eat meat and try to go barefoot all day.

Does your family do anything for the Saint of the Day?

4 comments:

RealMom4Life said...

OH YEAH I forgot about those! I have a list of things like that from you on my computer - I gotta look at it again!

This morning we woke early and made a fire in the fire pit thing in the backyard. We talked about St. Lawrence while we sat and enjoyed the nice relaxing smell and warmth. I'm guessing that's not what we should be going for eh?

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering what you are when you are not Catholic?

Crunchy Momma said...

Oooh, the firepit thing is a good idea!

Ha Ha! Here is to rereading before posting.

RealMom4Life said...

I just finished reading a book about Saint Francis and Saint Clare of Assisi. It was realy good!
Therese