Monday, April 27, 2009

Lap Books

I've recently discovered the wonders of lapbooks. My 1st grader made one based on How To Make an Apple Pie and See the World. He is currently working on one about ducks (including pictures of the duck, eggs, food, etc. from our yard). My 4th grader is working on one about Thomas Edison.

The benefits I am seeing?

1. My kids are becoming "experts" in those areas.
2. They have something to show people that they are proud of.
3. We have one place to "store" all the pictures that they make. We have pictures hanging on our wall from the Middle Ages studies we did a few months ago. It would be really neat if they could go in a folder (some are too big - maybe I'll copy portions of the big poster).
4. They love to keep looking over their books - they are remembering what they learned.

I'll try to post a picture of one of them in the next week or so.

3 comments:

Crunchy Momma said...

Ooooh! Someone else was just telling me about these. Where do you get the ideas? Where do I find more information!?! I NEED INPUT!!!

Crunchy Momma said...

Are you going to use them next year too?

RealMom4Life said...

Yep - definately will use them next year too.
The two for Henry are from fiveina row.com. There is a place where you can download lapbook "paperwork" for many different books for about $9 each. Therese's we are creating ourself as we go, using the Beyond 5 in a Row curriculum guide for her Thomas Edison book. But, now I feel comfortable making some on my own as well. Now that I "get it".